Re: 64-bit transition deadline (Re: Etch in the hands of the Stable Release Managers)

On 04/10/07 10:19:02PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 06:39:16PM -0400, Jim Crilly wrote:
> > And don't forget games. Game developers will start releasing 64-bit binaries
> > and gamers will eat them up just because 64 > 32. So the Win64 market will
> > have a fair amount of users in the not too distant future.
>
> Gamers can try anything they like, be it win64 or *-linux-gnu.  But if it
> turns out that most of their hardware doesn't work with it, that's the end
> of their adventure.  In the past years we have improved a lot on this area,
> but win64 is basicaly starting now.  Do you see microsoft reverse-engineering
> every printer, scanner, joystick, etc that users bought without win64
> drivers?  They'll have to either do that, or wait untill all these hardware
> becomes obsolete and is replaced.

Well gamers are also the least likely to own hardware without drivers
because they're always buying new stuff. And now that Vista's been released
any manufacturer wanting to support it will also have to release 64-bit
drivers to get WHQL certification so 64-bit Windows drivers won't be an
issue for long. No doubt we have more, higher quality drivers for
mainstream hardware but unless WINE/Cedega makes some huge strides in the
very near future most gamers' Win64 adventures will continue for a long
time. I guess there's also the chance that Mono will be an option too if
game developers start targeting .Net.

Jim.