Re: wxwidgets 2.8, anyone?

Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:54:46 +0100 Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:

RH> Apparently, Vadim Zeitlin <vadim@wxwidgets.org> is ready to take care of
RH> the Debian packaging but he would need a sponsor and I'm sure some help
RH> would be useful as well.

 Hello,

 I can indeed take care of this (as I said in previous, private, mail, I'm
interested in having up to date and well maintained wx packages for Debian
as both wx developer and Debian user, and I'd be glad to contribute
something back to Debian too) but currently the maintenance of the packages
is done by Robin Dunn, another wx developer and the author of wxPython. So
maybe Robin would prefer to take this role himself -- I'm cc'ing him so
that he could take this decision.

I've considered this in the past, and even took a few steps towards becoming the official Ubuntu maintainer, but I realized that I just don't have the time for it. If I were to take the time to focus that closely on just Debian/Ubuntu then I'm afraid that my work on all the other platforms would end up suffering for it. I can continue helping with the technical aspects to maintain the debian/rules and etc. but I don't see myself having the time for all the advocacy, hoop jumping, red tape cutting and other bureaucratic stuff needed for an official package maintainer.

--
Robin Dunn
Software Craftsman