Re[2]: wxwidgets 2.8, anyone?

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:54:46 +0100 Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:

RH> Apparently, Vadim Zeitlin <vadim@wxwidgets.org> is ready to take care of
RH> the Debian packaging but he would need a sponsor and I'm sure some help
RH> would be useful as well.

 Hello,

 I can indeed take care of this (as I said in previous, private, mail, I'm
interested in having up to date and well maintained wx packages for Debian
as both wx developer and Debian user, and I'd be glad to contribute
something back to Debian too) but currently the maintenance of the packages
is done by Robin Dunn, another wx developer and the author of wxPython. So
maybe Robin would prefer to take this role himself -- I'm cc'ing him so
that he could take this decision.

 But in any case and whoever does it, I'll certainly do my best to help and
I'd also like to propose helping any maintainers of wx-dependent packages
and their upstream developers with making sure the packages work correctly
with wx 2.8. Please post to wx-dev@lists.wxwidgets.org (preferred) or
contact me directly if you have any problems with porting existing code to
wx 2.8 (and, in the relatively near future, to 3.0 too).

RH> Thus Daniel I'd suggest you to go ahead for wxWindows 2.8 with the help
RH> of Vadim.

 To answer Daniel's question, we do have something you can look at:

- The control &c files used for building the packages can be seen at
  http://svn.wxwidgets.org/viewvc/wx/wxWidgets/branches/WX_2_8_BRANCH/debian/
  (you can also see the latest version by replacing "branches/WX_2_8_BRANCH"
  with "trunk")

  They were written by Ron Lee and we've tried to avoid modifying them
  much so far as we don't understand everything they do. Any comments/
  suggestions on improving them would be very welcome -- thanks in advance!

- The packages themselves are available at http://apt.wxwidgets.org/

  Again, if you see anything wrong with them, please let us know.

 Thanks in advance,
VZ