Re: collapse extra priority into optional and allow conflicts?

Steve Langasek wrote:

Bah, got the reply address wrong too - should have left this until the
morning . . .

> On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 10:12:57PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
>> Whilst most GPE components can be used separately, the full environment
>> needs to replace the existing desktop whether that be Gnome or KDE or
>> chaos may ensue due to the different needs of the target environments
>> and the underlying configuration mechanisms and solutions.
>
> How does that warrant a conflict then?  It's entirely possible to have both
> GNOME and KDE installed on a system and choose between them at runtime.

From earlier in this thread:

I have uploaded gpe-conf which is a configuration GUI for GPE (embedded)
and it doesn't sit well with larger, more complex, control centre apps
like kcontrol or gnome-control-center. It's not that surprising, GPE is
meant to be a replacement for Gnome on embedded devices that do not have
the space for Gnome. So I added a Conflict against gnome-control-center
and kcontrol - it doesn't stop people using the GPE applications in
other environments but it does prevent the simpler approach of gpe-conf
causing trouble with the more complex needs of gnome-control-center and
kcontrol. There's no point extending gpe-conf to be a mimic of
gnome-control-center (it's already one of the largest GPE packages) and
there's little point getting gpe-conf to play nicely with
gnome-control-center because the two are aimed at very different
users/devices.

and

Whilst most GPE components can be used separately, the full environment
needs to replace the existing desktop whether that be Gnome or KDE or
chaos may ensue due to the different needs of the target environments
and the underlying configuration mechanisms and solutions.

>> I would have put gpe-conf into extra but it needs to depend on packages
>> that are in optional because those can be used within Gnome or KDE or
>> any other desktop.
>
> Lots of packages depend on other packages of higher priority, that's
> perfectly normal.

Mea culpa. Got it mixed up.

Should have stuck with my first decision and put gpe-conf in extra where
it can conflict with stuff in optional.
:-(

--

Neil Williams