Re: collapse extra priority into optional and allow conflicts?

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 10:12:57PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> Whilst most GPE components can be used separately, the full environment
> needs to replace the existing desktop whether that be Gnome or KDE or
> chaos may ensue due to the different needs of the target environments
> and the underlying configuration mechanisms and solutions.

How does that warrant a conflict then?  It's entirely possible to have both
GNOME and KDE installed on a system and choose between them at runtime.

> I would have put gpe-conf into extra but it needs to depend on packages
> that are in optional because those can be used within Gnome or KDE or
> any other desktop.

Lots of packages depend on other packages of higher priority, that's
perfectly normal.

> I understand that - and I agree with you. However, packages in extra are
> not supposed to depend upon or conflict with packages in optional and to
> me, that makes no sense and just makes things difficult

No, it doesn't make any sense, and it's not correct in the least.  Where did
you get this?

Packages in *optional* are not supposed to conflict with other packages of
priority *optional*.  Packages are not supposed to depend on packages with a
*lower* priority.  It's certainly ok for packages in extra to depend on
packages in optional, and *conflicting* with packages in optional is one of
the stated criteria for putting packages /into/ extra.