Re: collapse extra priority into optional and allow conflicts?

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 06:55:12PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
I'd like 'extra' to disappear - so if there is a move to do that, I'm
all for it.

I disagree with this. I think that this distinction is useful, and I have in the past filed bugs because of it. Granted, IANADD, but I do the occasional bit of bug work.

[gpe-conf, an embedded control center, conflicts with part of kde/gnome]

I don't see why it is wrong for these optional packages to conflict.

I think gpe-conf should be extra. Most Debian installations are either desktops or servers. This is obvious from popcon results, where the top three architectures are i386, amd64, and powerpc (followed closely by arm). If people are running a server, they don't want any graphical environment installed, and if people are running a desktop, they don't want GPE installed.

I'm not saying that embedded applications aren't important, lest you get that idea. I'm saying that the majority of installations do not want or need gpe-conf, so it should be extra. It's a tool for certain special environments. Note that this differs from tools like sparc-utils, that although they are specific to an architecture, are very useful on those machines, and so might legitimately be priority optional or even standard.

+1 713 440 7475 | http://crustytoothpaste.ath.cx/~bmc | My opinion only
a typesetting engine: http://crustytoothpaste.ath.cx/~bmc/code/thwack