Re: Injecting versions of build-deps in the deps

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007, Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 05:11:52PM +0100, Loïc Minier wrote:
> >  What do you think of such a system?  Please share your ideas and
> >  comments!
>
> I think there is a problem using build dependencies for that purpose:
> There are dozens of reasons why you want to build-depend on libfoo-dev
> >= version that do NOT involve working around bugs in the library at
> runtime. There are so many that it would just pollute a lot of
> dependencies for a few interesting cases, and would sadly end up going
> in the opposite way we are currently heading for with the addition of
> dpkg-gensymbols.
>
> Now, the thing is you can pretty much already do some kind of trick to
> do what you want, with shlibs.local. The only problem with shlibs.local
> is that is forces to use the shlibs in this file and only these, so if
> the package's shlibs tell to depend on a newer version, it won't be
> taken into account.

I also explained that you can manually add a dependency in debian/control.
dpkg-gencontrol will simplify the dependency as he want (by keeping the
stricter one).

However this requires a manual intervention of the maintainer while Loïc
hoped that using the build-dep it would require no change by the
maintainer.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog