Re: Parallel build results

On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 21:21 -0500, Daniel Schepler wrote:
> I finally got through the test builds of all the source packages in sid for
> i386 using dpkg-buildpackage -j3 on a dual core machine.  The results as
> before are at http://people.debian.org/~schepler/build-logs/bymaint.html .
> Some statistics:
>
>     204 built BROKEN packages
>    1408 FAILED
>     230 FAILED, even with regular build
>    8986 succeeded
>    1014 succeeded, but with jobserver warnings
>
> These are not encouraging statistics, especially considering the fact that
> there are undoubtedly many false negatives, so I'll hold off on submitting
> bug reports for now.

It appears that ExtUtils::MakeMaker, a standard Perl module commonly
used to generate Makefiles for Perl modules, emits the rule:

install :: all pure_install doc_install

This appears to account for the failure of some of my Perl packages, and
probably many others.  This should be fixed in MakeMaker, not in the
packages that use it.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
The most exhausting thing in life is being insincere. - Anne Morrow Lindberg