Re: Injecting versions of build-deps in the deps

On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 05:11:52PM +0100, Loïc Minier wrote:
>  What do you think of such a system?  Please share your ideas and
>  comments!

I think there is a problem using build dependencies for that purpose:
There are dozens of reasons why you want to build-depend on libfoo-dev
>= version that do NOT involve working around bugs in the library at
runtime. There are so many that it would just pollute a lot of
dependencies for a few interesting cases, and would sadly end up going
in the opposite way we are currently heading for with the addition of
dpkg-gensymbols.

Now, the thing is you can pretty much already do some kind of trick to
do what you want, with shlibs.local. The only problem with shlibs.local
is that is forces to use the shlibs in this file and only these, so if
the package's shlibs tell to depend on a newer version, it won't be
taken into account.

Mike