Re: Packages with httpd needs

On 27-Nov-07, 12:57 (CST), Leo costela Antunes <costela@debian.org> wrote:
> Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> > Well, I wondered, whenever an application needs a http-demon (for example
> > phpgroupware, egroupware, prelude and many others), all packages force to
> > install apache. There is no way, to get rid of this. As we say "Small is
> > beautifull" or "KISS = Keep it simple stupid" , IMO there is no need, to
> > install mighty apache ! A simple http  demon (I prefer thttpd) would do the
> > same but would be more secure.
>
> THTTPD doesn't (AFAIK) support PHP, so the applications you mentioned
> can't be use with it.

THTTPD supports CGI, AFAICT, and thus supports PHP, in theory.

I suspect a lot of packages work fine in non-Apache servers, even when
they support apache-specific features. One example is wordpress, which
will write mod_rewrite configuration, but runs quite happily without it.

Hans, I've had no problem getting maintainers to add "| httpd" to the
Depends, once I've confirmed that the package does, indeed, work with
non-apache servers.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland