Re: Early adopters of symbol based dependencies needed

This one time, at band camp, Florian Weimer said:
> * Russ Allbery:
>
> >> As I understand it, this is only the case on i386 - on other arches,
> >> /usr/bin/perl links to libperl, although the modules don't.
> >
> > ...indeed.  That's bizarre.  Why is i386 different than all the other
> > platforms?
>
> Performance penalty of PIC code due to register pressure, I guess.

Is this a significant enough issue to live with the other issues this
creates?  I honestly don't know.  It 'feels' like the right way to have
perl compiled would be the same on all architectures, /usr/bin/perl
linked to libperl, and the binary modules linked to libperl.  I
understand this may be a problem, I just don't know how big of one it
would be.