Re: Early adopters of symbol based dependencies needed

Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org> writes:
> This one time, at band camp, Russ Allbery said:

>>  * The new warnings from the dpkg-* tools warn about any binary Perl
>>    module because all binary Perl modules use symbols from Perl itself but
>>    traditionally aren't linked directly against libperl.  (There was some
>>    reason for this that I don't recall off-hand.)  Should these warnings
>>    just be ignored?  Suppressed in some way?  Should binary Perl modules
>>    link against libperl?  I haven't worked through the implications in my
>>    head yet.

> See #416266 for an example of why it would be nice if they did.  Linking
> the binary perl modules to libperl does make this problem go away, but
> I've been waiting to push it over to the perl folks until we have
> something resembling patches.

Oh, right, that's the problem.  /usr/bin/perl doesn't use libperl itself
and instead just exports the same symbols to any modules it loads.  So if
the module is linked with libperl, when the module is loaded by the Perl
interpretor, it loads libperl into the same namespace, the Perl
interpretor and libperl both define the same symbols, and the world
explodes.