Re: What to do when the LaTeX sources are missing, but an XML equivalent was rewritten from scratch ?

Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> writes:
> On Mo, 19 Nov 2007, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> * Norbert Preining:

>>> These fonts are not the full fonts, but sub-setted. Otherwise type
>>> companies would NEVER allow any distribution of pdfs with their fonts.
>>> But they do.

>> But this doesn't mean that you are allowed to extract those subsets, put

> Sorry, this is wrong. If I have received a pdf from Adobes web site I
> have no contract with them. Not at all. That's the reason why
> sub-settings was invented. What you are talking about is full font
> inclusion.

In the absence of an explicit copyright license, Debian has generally
taken the conservative position that just because something is available
for download doesn't grant an implicit license, and hence doesn't mean
that you can redistribute it or make any derivative work from it
(including extracting pieces of it).

The holders of copyright rights on the fonts still have those rights even
if you have no explicit contract with Adobe when you downloaded the
document.