Re: LSB-ize daemon without pidfile handling

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 16:19:37 +0100, Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> said:

> On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 22:00:42 +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen
>> pere@hungry.com> wrote:
>> [Marc Haber]
>>> I do not plan to do so for obvious reasons.
>>
>> It is not obvious for me.  Can you explain why it should be obvious
>> that you do not plan to patch the daemon to write its own pid file?
>> For me, the obvious solution for a daemon unable to write its own pid
>> file is to patch the daemon.

> I generally try not to patch upstream code if avoidable. Especially if
> a patch would not be acceptable to upstream in the form we would apply
> as a quick fix (no command line option, hard-coded path to the pid
> file).

        I find that making the application better or more functional or
 reliable, or otherwise improve quality for users is a more compelling
 argument than not patching upstream code, or kowtowing to upstream.  So
 no, this was not at all obvious to me -- indeed, in my opinion, this is
 the wrong approach to take.

        manoj
--
Guard against physical unruliness. Be restrained in body. Abandoning
physical wrong doing, lead a life of physical well doing. 231