Re: LSB-ize daemon without pidfile handling

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 22:00:42 +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen
<pere@hungry.com> wrote:
>[Marc Haber]
>> I do not plan to do so for obvious reasons.
>
>It is not obvious for me.  Can you explain why it should be obvious
>that you do not plan to patch the daemon to write its own pid file?
>For me, the obvious solution for a daemon unable to write its own pid
>file is to patch the daemon.

I generally try not to patch upstream code if avoidable. Especially if
a patch would not be acceptable to upstream in the form we would apply
as a quick fix (no command line option, hard-coded path to the pid
file).

Greetings
Marc