VCSs on Alioth and personal repositories

soon after darcs.d.o became a reality [1], Zack asked me about
including the support for it in debcheckout and I did it as bug
#445714 [2], arising some discrepancies in how the personal
repositories are managed:

- git.d.o uses $HOME/public_git, which is then visible at [3]

- darcs.d.o uses $HOME/public_darcs, but this is visible as [4]

- {arch,bzr,svn}.d.o uses /$VCS/private, visible as {[5],[6],[7]}

Now some points, which are not really problems, but annoyances:

1) all the VCS servers but darcs store the repositories as

   Is the subfolder VCS really needed?  In that case we should have it
   for darcs.d.o, too.

2) I think we should be consistent also about how to store personal
   repositories, at least for web access.  AFAIK the general structure
   for project repositories is

   I'd suggest to choose one of "private" (already used by 3 VCSs) or
   "users" (2) as $GROUP for personal repositories, being the latter
   my preference.

   Moreover, I'd prefer also to have personal repositories as
   public_$VCS folders, which as I already wrote is how git and darcs
   manage them ATM.

3) the second point is more important WRT debcheckout authentication
   mode: this because in order to fix bug #447791 [8] the check should
   be as more general as possible.

I propose to help moving all the necessary repositories once a common
solution is found ;-)

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2007/10/msg00002.html