VCSs on Alioth and personal repositories

Hello,

soon after darcs.d.o became a reality [1], Zack asked me about
including the support for it in debcheckout and I did it as bug
#445714 [2], arising some discrepancies in how the personal
repositories are managed:

- git.d.o uses $HOME/public_git, which is then visible at [3]

- darcs.d.o uses $HOME/public_darcs, but this is visible as [4]

- {arch,bzr,svn}.d.o uses /$VCS/private, visible as {[5],[6],[7]}

Now some points, which are not really problems, but annoyances:

1) all the VCS servers but darcs store the repositories as

   VCS.d.o/VCS/...

   Is the subfolder VCS really needed?  In that case we should have it
   for darcs.d.o, too.

2) I think we should be consistent also about how to store personal
   repositories, at least for web access.  AFAIK the general structure
   for project repositories is

   VCS.d.o/VCS/$GROUP/$REPO

   I'd suggest to choose one of "private" (already used by 3 VCSs) or
   "users" (2) as $GROUP for personal repositories, being the latter
   my preference.

   Moreover, I'd prefer also to have personal repositories as
   public_$VCS folders, which as I already wrote is how git and darcs
   manage them ATM.

3) the second point is more important WRT debcheckout authentication
   mode: this because in order to fix bug #447791 [8] the check should
   be as more general as possible.

I propose to help moving all the necessary repositories once a common
solution is found ;-)

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

Footnotes:
[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2007/10/msg00002.html
[3] http://git.debian.org/git/users/gismo/test.git
    or
    git://git.debian.org/git/users/gismo/test.git
[4] http://darcs.debian.org/~gismo/test.darcs/
[5] http://arch.debian.org/arch/private/chewie/debian/
[6] http://bzr.debian.org/private/hertzog/
    as well as