libdb4.* madness in unstable

Today, while browsing through aptitude, I noticed that I had the
following bdb versions installed:

version:   # of packages depending on it (apt-cache rdepends)
libdb4.2   40
libdb4.3   26
libdb4.4   55
libdb4.5   64
libdb4.6   40

Having 5 different versions of one library is just insane imho. What are
the reasons, that we still carry around the older versions, like 4.2 and
4.3? Is there software which doesn't build against newer versions, are
there other reasons?
Wouldn't it make sense to limit the number of bdb version in the archive
to two or max. three?

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?