Re: libdb4.* madness in unstable

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 17:50:14 +0200
Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> wrote:

> Today, while browsing through aptitude, I noticed that I had the
> following bdb versions installed:
>
> version:   # of packages depending on it (apt-cache rdepends)
> libdb4.2   40
> libdb4.3   26
> libdb4.4   55
> libdb4.5   64
> libdb4.6   40
>
> Having 5 different versions of one library is just insane imho. What
> are the reasons, that we still carry around the older versions, like
> 4.2 and 4.3? Is there software which doesn't build against newer
> versions, are there other reasons?

Software packages that push bdb harder---openldap and cyrus being two
near and dear to my heart---tend to be very, very conservative about
moving, and rightly so:  the openldap lists have plenty of documented
issues with, IIRC, 4.3, 4.4 and 4.5, and I seem to remember Cyrus has
uncovered issues with at least 4.3 and 4.4.

That said, it does feel a little absurd to have _that many_ versions.

My understanding from light monitoring of openldap and cyrus lists
suggest 4.6 might be a good version to consider standardizing on for
a while, at least.

> Wouldn't it make sense to limit the number of bdb version in the
> archive to two or max. three?

Yes, but...

Mike.