Re: why MIA database restricted only for DDs

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 09:44:39 +0200, Miriam Ruiz <little.miry@gmail.com> said:

> 2007/10/16, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>:
>> On Mon, 15 Oct 2007, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
>> >     Is there any reason why the database containing maintainers MIA
>> >     (missing
>> > in action) is available only for DDs? The developers-reference.pdf
>> > tells to use mia-query for this (chapter 7). But the command is on
>> > a Debian machine which can only be accesses by DDs. Can this be
>> > changed?
>>
>> It's unlikely to change. If you need to make a query about a specific
>> developer, please join on #debian-qa on irc.debian.org and ask
>> someone there to check mia-query for you. They will tell you if he's
>> already recorded in the database or not.

> I guess I'm being a bit the advocate of the Devil here, but isn't that
> as invasive of their privacy as having direct access to the MIA
> database? :P XD

        If the information is already revealed to a subgroup (DD's), you
 have no expectation of privacy from that subgroup (you know they have
 access to the information).  You are, then, also relying on the
 discretion of that subgroup -- how do you know some DD is not blabbing
 out all the details in a bar somewhere?

        In the use case mentioned above, the discretion of the DD's on
 #debian-qa is being counter on. It is expected that they do not reveal
 home addresses and sensitive information, just whether or not the
 person is MIA according to the best data Debian has.

        I am not sure how much of an expectation of privacy a MIA person
 has about people knowing they are MIA.

        manoj
--
The light at the end of the tunnel is the headlight of an approaching
train.