Re: Cleaning out useless debian/changelog entries

On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 04:47:16PM +0200, Magnus Holmgren wrote:
> I'm taking over a package (pike7.6) that up to when it was orphaned got an
> automated changelog entry each time the upstream build number was
> incremented. Hence debian/changelog contains tens of completely
> informationless entries ("The latest cvs snapshot", nothing more). I'm
> thinking about deleting those which don't correspond to an actual upload to
> Debian. Would that be acceptable, or is debian/changelog _strictly_
> prepend-only?

IMHO it's not strictly prepend-only. You are allowed to correct mistakes
in previous entries. But it should strictly document the history of your
package. After a quick search thourgh the pike7.6 changelog I have not
found any such entries which do not correspond to an actual upload. Do
not delete these entries. They document that the source of the package
was updated to the latest cvs upstream version. Why do you think they
are useless?

Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.