Re: Shared libraries, dependencies and symbols files

(Replying from -devel into -hurd)

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> In other cases, most of the architectures are in sync and some
> special architectures are creating troubles. It looks like
> hurd-i386 is currently causing me lots of troubles for example on pango:
> http://qa.debian.org/cgi-bin/mole/seedsymbols?pkgname=libpango1.0-0
>
> Pango export the same set of symbols across architectures but apparently
> hurd-i386 is an exception that makes my script believe otherwise.
>
> (m68k has a different md5sum too, but the same set of symbols, it's only
> the version which are different since m68k didn't manage to build the
> exact same version historically... however hurd-i386 has more symbols
> in this case, it looks like it exports symbols that should be hidden)

Can some hurd people check and explain me why hurd-i386 libs export
private symbols ?

Because IIRC (but I didn't check), the various "_pango*" are marked as
"hidden" with gcc's visibility attribute (same goes for the "_hb_*" and
"_HB_*" symbols).

This difference is undesirable and complicates somewhat the work of
maintainers who will have to deal with arch-specific differences when
there shouldn't be any.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog