Re: Fwd: Re: Why no Opera?

On Sun, Sep 30, 2007 at 01:55:05PM -0500, atomo64+debian@gmail.com wrote:
> Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> > For that, you will have to ask the ftp masters and the security team.  I
> > am not in a position to speak to their official stance in terms of what
> > requirements they might have for software like opera to be in Debian and
> > the Debian Policy manual does not enumerate them either.
>
> The security team gives no support for contrib and non-free packages[1].

I know.  However, supporting and permitting are two different things.
Like it or not, there is an association of Debian being "involved" to
some degree or another in the software in contrib and non-free.  Not
everyone understands that non-free is not really part of Debian.  That
said, even if everyone understood that perfectly, I don't think that the
security team and/or the FTP masters would be thrilled about permitting
software in non-free that is very buggy.  That was the point I was
trying to make.

Regards,

-Roberto

--