Re: Building packages with exact binary matches

Clint Adams <schizo@debian.org> writes:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 03:34:35PM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:

>> You seem to be suggesting that policy should require this *before* it
>> becomes common practice. That's not generally how policy is crafted:
>> Debian policy generally does not prescribe packaging practice, but
>> rather describes it.

> Calling it "policy" is misleading then.

Right now, it's also badly out of date in several respects and not in a
position to lead any charge.  Manoj and I have both been eaten by our
respective day jobs, there are a ton of obvious fixes that should go into
the next release, and the work is, er, not being spread at all beyond the
two of us.

All of which are serious problems that need to be remedied, but until they
are, my enthusiasm for leading any major charge through policy is pretty
low, even apart from the fact that practically speaking it won't happen
because there hasn't been a Policy upload in nearly a year.

I have just enough time to feel guilty and not enough time at the moment
to do anything concrete about it, which is a wonderful situation.