Re: Building packages with exact binary matches

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 03:30:48 -0400, Clint Adams <schizo@debian.org> said:

> On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 03:34:35PM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
>> You seem to be suggesting that policy should require this *before* it
>> becomes common practice. That's not generally how policy is crafted:
>> Debian policy generally does not prescribe packaging practice, but
>> rather describes it.

> Calling it "policy" is misleading then.

        I don't think that follows.  It is not as if packages do not
 have to follow policy once it is written -- either it is a bug in the
 package, or it is a bug in the policy. What we are talking about is how
 changes get into policy.

        In a project that is loosely coupled, geographically
 distributed, and has an extremely flat org chart,  policy changes
 necessarily  have to be conservative; and our preference is changing
 Debian by persuasion and near consensus, not by edicts from above
 (since there is so very little "above").

        This is not to say that policy will _never_ lead the change --
 but that is a very exceptional case, and probably would need to be
 ratified by, say, the tech ctte.

        manoj
--
"I got everybody to pay up front...then I blew up their planet." "Now
why didn't I think of that?"-- Post Bros. Comics