Re: Missing libatlas3 on arm prevents blitz++ from entering testing

Andreas,

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 10:46:00PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

> according to

>    http://qa.debian.org/excuses.php?package=blitz%2B%2B

> there is no libatlas.so.3 available for arm which prevents blitz++
> from entering testing.  I also did not found any useful atlas
> implementation for arm:

>    http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=atlas&mode=path&suite=unstable&arch=arm

> So what would be the best idea to get blitz++ into testing?
> Did I missed something?

Typically, problems such as this are avoided because packages which depend
on libraries which are not available for an architecture also build-depend
on those libraries.

I don't understand why atlas3 has such non-standard dev package handling,
but assuming blitz++ is not useful on systems that don't have atlas3, there
are two options:

- ask the atlas3 maintainer to provide a -dev package that is only
  installable on archs where atlas3 works, and have blitz++ depend on that
- change blitz++ to FTBFS on arm, a change that would have to be reverted
  again if atlas3 ever did gain arm support.

Once this is implemented, you can ask the maintainers of
Packages-arch-specific to mark your package as "not for arm" as seen by the
buildds, and ask the ftp team to remove the arm binary from unstable.

Cheers,