Re: speed of COW directory copying: XFS 20x slower than ext3

* Sun, 16 Sep 2007 04:26:05 +0200

> Hi,

Hallo.

> it turned out the problem is in the XFS filesystem, that is 20x slower,
> than the ext3 filesystem. I know that XFS is bad at handling small
> files, but 20x times?

Try to play with parameters mentioned in laptop-mode.txt in the Linux
sources.

Then, try to have XFS log area on separate device. This can boost
performance, because log data will be accessed and/or written in
parallel (by hardware) to actual file system operation.

I think very vivid data is: http://oss.oracle.com/~mason/seekwatcher

I have my speed test nearly a year ago. Ext3 have big speed, until it
starts writing caches from RAM to actual device.

--
-o--=O`C
 #oo'L O