Re: many packages FTBFS, if $TAPE is set

Jörg Sommer <joerg@alea.gnuu.de> writes:

> If you really suggest to take care of broken environemts, you should
> think about such ugliness:

> % cat Makefile

> # I need this, because /bin/sh is dash at me.
> SHELL=/bin/bash

> clean:
> 	rm bla
> 	ls -ld /proc/$$$$/exe

> % env -i rm='() { echo I am not rm; }' ls='() { echo I am not ls; }' PATH=$PATH make clean
> rm bla
> I am not rm
> ls -ld /proc/$$/exe
> I am not ls

Here, this is the supported and expected behavior of PATH and anyone
building a Debian package can be reasonably expected to know that if they
put different versions of standard programs first in their path, or
install equivs versions of build dependencies that don't do the same
thing, or otherwise make changes to standard interfaces, package building
will behave differently.  For that matter, they could run some version of
make that works entirely differently.

The difference with TAPE is that this is a configuration option for
something unrelated to Debian package building on first glance, namely the
default behavior of tar, which is not something that Debian packages would
ever need to deal with.  I would find it surprising if someone used tar in
a Debian package without using the f option.

Yes, there's a judgement call here and you can't take it to extremes, but
I think there's a real, if sometimes hazy, difference between users
intentionally overriding the default environment and users setting options
that should be unrelated but aren't.