Re: many packages FTBFS, if $TAPE is set

* Steinar H. Gunderson <sgunderson@bigfoot.com> [070829 18:02]:
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 10:58:17AM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> > I don't think so.  Hasn't tar defaulted to something approximately
> > /dev/rmt0 for *YEARS*, not just on Linux but on just about every platform,
> > if -f is not given?
>
> No.

http://bugs.debian.org/50856
(i.e. potato was the first release no longer telling the default is
/dev/rmt0 in its manpage, while I think ham was the first to have the
default changed to "-")

Default was first existing of some long list and only "-" if nothing
else exists for at least several years before that. Look for DEF_AR_FILE in
http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/tar/tar/src/configure.in?annotate=1.6&hideattic=0

Bernhard R. Link