Re: many packages FTBFS, if $TAPE is set

Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> writes:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 12:22:21PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> I don't have any time to work on this, but it occurred to me reading
>> this that it might be useful for QA purposes to have a version of
>> debuild that *unsanitizes* the environment to test robustness.  An
>> evil-debuild that sets every problematic environment variable that it
>> can think of (TAPE, QUILT_PATCHES, LANG, LC_ALL, PWD, etc.), builds the
>> source in a directory name containing a space, and otherwise tries all
>> the environmental things that have broken packages in the past.

> Or we get source-only uploads rolling and always build in a controlled
> environment.

Our desire to have robust packages isn't just about what makes it into the
archive, though.  It's also about the ability of users to modify and
rebuild packages themselves.

I'm not sure that we need to require that all packages in the archive be
robust against building in various environments, but I think it's
something to strive for and having testing tools available lets those who
care check that their packages can handle it.