Re: Why no Opera?

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 11:12:33PM -0400, icelinux@icelinux.net wrote:
> Quoting "Roberto C. Sánchez" <roberto@connexer.com>:
>
> >The same
> >exact thing could be said of Apache, MySQL, PostgreSQL, and any of a
> >number of other packages which received tremendous testing upstream.
> >None of them have empty pages on bugs.d.o.
>
> Are these packages which have been packaged upstream for Debian as
> well? I am sure there is never an empty page of bugs for most software.
> * So, you are attempting to find all of the bugs before a release
> instead of having to patch afterward?
> * Does this actually reduce the number of bugs, or does it just take longer?
>  I have found several already since I began working on my Deb-Ice
> project. I believe a lot are being missed in the underused packages.

Packaging for Debian != testing for bugs with Debian.  They are two
independent activities.  The objective is to identify/fix as many bugs
as possible prior to release.  I hope that as you find bugs you file the
appropriate bug reports against the offending packages.  You make a good
observation about the underused packages.  However, the same can be said
of all software.  The less used a particular part is, the less likely it
is to be the focus of testing and the less likely it is that bugs will
be discovered in that part.

Regards,

-Roberto

--