Re: Re: Debian + pkgsrc

Wouter Verhelst wrote:
On Sun, Aug 19, 2007 at 09:33:03PM +0200, ciol wrote:
Hello, can you provide binaries from pkgsrc current built with debian stable?

We don't provide pkgsrc; the NetBSD people do. They put quite some time
in making sure it works on most POSIXy environments, so theoretically
using pkgsrc on Debian should work; but don't take my word for it. In
any case, however, while we don't do weird things to make pkgsrc
impossible on Debian, we don't really support it either, and so we don't
provide pkgsrc binaries.

If you really want to use pkgsrc, I suggest you ask the NetBSD people
rather than Debian.

I thought to make pkgsrc official in Debian.
Like that, Debian could be a real universal OS.
IMHO, debian misses a niche: a stable base system + third-party softwares. Mixing stable/{testing, unstable} it's not really that, because some stable packages have to be upgraded.

Pkgsrc binaries should be too complicated, but I thought to at least provide a pkgsrc bootstrap as official, and a mailing list to discuss and report problems with the pkgsrc tree and compile errors. It should not cost too much time because packages are maintain by netbsd developers.