Re: Dependencies on shared libs, news and difference between archs

On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 03:19:02PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2/ Second example, libconfig0 has a supplementary symbols
[...]
> _PROCEDURE_LINKAGE_TABLE_ on sparc and alpha. I don't know where it comes from.
> Is this a internal symbols that I missed?

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/binutils/2004-05/msg00577.html seems to suggest
that only sparc and alpha want the PLT as a symbol.

> On powerpc it has _SDA_BASE_ and _SDA2_BASE_. Same question as above.

The Small Data Areas (SDA) seems to be ppc specific, and is mentioned in
the elfspec_ppc.pdf.  It's about data that can be access with 16 bit
offset.

> On amd64 it has lost the "_DYNAMIC" symbol. Same question as above.

It seems this can be hidden:
http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2005-08/msg00190.html

amd64 built this package only in 2006, the rest did in 2003.  I'm
guessing building this again will remove it on other arches.

> Quick googling led me to believe that I can/should exclude all those. If
> someone can confirm, it would be great.

I agree.

Kurt