Re: proposed release goal: DEBIAN/md5sums for all packages

[Russ Allbery]
> While it's not the be-all and end-all of security, other OS vendors
> (Sun in particular) have found it useful to make available a central
> database of MD5 checksums of known-good versions of various binaries.

Hmmmm.  As far as being authoritative (and cryptographically secure),
we already have $MIRROR/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/Packages.bz2.

The thing is, if you're checking your system, you have to have
something to check it against.  If this is the md5sums file in
/var/lib/dpkg/info, it doesn't matter whether it's included in the
package.  But if you're using the copy from the .deb (because, say, you
don't trust your /var), it wouldn't be much harder to do 'dpkg-deb
--extract' and then md5sum the extracted directory, than to do
'dpkg-deb --control' and read DEBIAN/md5sums.
--
Peter Samuelson | org-tld!p12n!peter | http://p12n.org/