Re: proposed release goal: DEBIAN/md5sums for all packages

Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> writes:

> [ fully quoting my original request, for the sake of context
>   preservation ]

Thanks for initiating the discussion! :-)

> On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 09:04:13AM +0200, Luk Claes wrote:
>>
>> With more than 600 issues, it's a bit early to make it a release goal IMHO.
>> Though making maintainers aware by upgrading the lintian check to a warning
>> and discussion on debian-devel about which exceptions are warranted (and
>> possible mass bug filing) will probably be a good idea to get the amount
>> reduced rather fast...

One thing I've been pondering about is: are there any good reasons
*not* to have an md5sums control file?

It seems to me that the time spent to generate it on the buildds is
probably insignificant compared to the total time needed to build
the package...  And since generating it can be done with a trivial
shell command, it's not a complexity issue either.

--
  ,''`.
 : :' :        Romain Francoise <rfrancoise@debian.org>