Re: proposed release goal: DEBIAN/md5sums for all packages

[Lars Wirzenius]
> It strikes me that if we want to make it policy, having dpkg generate
> the checksums upon creating the .deb would be the simplest and best
> way to do it.

I'd opt for dpkg generating the checksums upon _extracting_ the .deb
file.  We already claim that the md5sums file isn't supposed to be any
kind of security thing.  Why bother to ship it?  It is redundant
information which can easily be regenerated on the user's system.

Russ's mention of packages that alter their installed files in the
postinst just seems not worth supporting.  Copy a template file
instead.
--
Peter Samuelson | org-tld!p12n!peter | http://p12n.org/