Re: proposed release goal: DEBIAN/md5sums for all packages

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 10:07:36AM +0200, Romain Francoise wrote:
> Thanks for initiating the discussion! :-)

Well, no, thank you, it's actually you who initiated the discussion :)

> One thing I've been pondering about is: are there any good reasons
> *not* to have an md5sums control file?

I fail to see any of those. I think that most of the packages without
the md5sums just happen to have been packaged before dh_md5sums was
available, and later on did not add its invocation to debian/rules.
Similarly all packages which uses cdbs for sure have the md5sums (since
cdbs invokes it).

I consider it to be one of the "new" packaging best practice which fails
to distribute "back in time" to old packages.

Cheers.