Re: Simplify installation of non-free? (was: Debian on the Desktop - plans for Lenny?)

On 08/08/2007, Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
"Ben Goodger" <goodgerster@gmail.com> writes:

> Simplifying the installation of non-free graphics card drivers
> should also be a priority, though not to the extent Canonical are
> currently planning.

I strongly disagree. The installation of non-free should *not* be a
priority for the Debian project, since this works against the explicit
goal to create a *free* operating system.

Individual developers can work on non-free to their heart's content,
but it should not get any priority from the Debian project.

Oh, for the love of god, not more of this...

If these (read: nvidia/ati) drivers were DFSG-compliant, they'd be included by default. Since this is not possible, it should be made as easy as possible to install them. The only thing is to ensure that it remains an opt-in, since people must choose to run proprietary software.

The free operating system is all very well, but obviously people cannot be forced to have freedom: they must have the freedom of choice - and once they have made that choice, and been told that they forfeit all respect, right to help, etc etc, then the issue becomes one of usability. At this point, the problem is not "should we make installing _non-free_ software easy?" but "how can we make installing this _program_ painless?"

--
Ben Goodger

B.F. Goodger, Age 16½