Re: Updating NEWS.Debian

On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 11:08:46AM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I have seen some packages lately, most prominently apache2, that replace the
> entire NEWS.Debian file when they have some news to report.  That way, older
> news are lost, and users who don't upgrade to every intermediate version
> (say, those who upgrade only between stable releases) are left in the dark.
> So if you have been doing that, please don't, and put the old news entries
> back at the bottom of the file.  Bugs should probably be submitted about that
> kind of misuse.

I believe it is entirely appropriate to delete versions that never made
it to a stable release, having the NEWS.Debian file contain an entry for
each stable release and for the current release candidate version
(generally, the current version in unstable); obviously, any of these
may be missing if there is no news to report.  The current version
should contain all news that affect upgrades from the latest stable
release to the current version.

The reason?  It's counterproductive and silly, when upgrading from
oldstable to stable, to get lots of news that was ever relevant only for
sid-to-sid upgrades.

--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho, Jyväskylä
http://antti-juhani.kaijanaho.fi/newblog/