Re: Debian on the Desktop - plans for Lenny?

On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 10:55:13AM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:

> > > Have their licensing issues been solved?
> >
> > Which ones ?
>
> 1. It claims to use GPLv2, yet it has an incompatible anti-Tivo clause; it's
> debatable whether it's DFSG-free.  I would say it isn't, but it's not up to
> me to decide.
> The clause is clearly marked as an "exception", so, while obviously
> non-GPL-compatible, it's a valid license, distributable and so on.

Ugh, bad me.  I looked only at the license itself, the debian-legal
consensus seems to be that additional restrictions over the GPL are illegal
(http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-legal@lists.debian.org/msg36584.html).

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be