Out of the box CPU frequency scaling (Was: Debian on the Desktop - plans for Lenny?)

[Tim Hull]
> Regarding frequency scaling - it didn't work for me (I had to
> manually enable it, though I didn't need a custom kernel or anything
> like that).  I'll investigate further and possibly file a bug.

This is supposed to be handled automatically by the kernel when the
cpufrequtils package is installed by default on at least laptops,
possible any desktop (not sure what task include it).  The powernowd
package should not be used, at least not on machines with CPU from
Intel.  If this isn't working, please report bugs against the
cpufrequtils package.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen