Re: Out of the box CPU frequency scaling (Was: Debian on the Desktop - plans for Lenny?)

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
Regarding frequency scaling - it didn't work for me (I had to
manually enable it, though I didn't need a custom kernel or anything
like that).  I'll investigate further and possibly file a bug.

As in my case it didn't work because the cpufreq related modules were not loaded automatically, I had to explicitly write them down in /etc/modules, then everything is fine.

The powernowd package should not be used, at least not on machines with CPU from
Intel.

Why? Powernowd is simply another scaling governor daemon along side cpufreq{d,utils} regardless of cpu type, which works well on my Intel box.