Re: Packaging a difficult project

On 11101 March 1977, Brendon Costa wrote:

>>> EDoc++ binaries are currently around 20M. It does not require any
>>> special binutils etc, but will just use what is already available for
>>> the system. I am currently building a single non-policy conformant .deb
>>> package.
>> I think the concern is more about the edoc source, which would apparently
>> include gcc source, which is large and already on the mirrors multiple times.
> The tarball of all source necessary to build EDoc++ is 25M and extracted
>  it is: 47M.

> EDoc++ stores in its source tree patches against GCC along with the GCC
> original tarballs, and at build time will extract the gcc tarballs into
> the build directory and apply the patches before building it.

Duplicating any source in the archive is indeed not really what we
like. For gcc there seem to be -source packages. Can you build-depend on
them and use the source from them? That would at least get that needless
duplication away.

> This is unfortunate, however from what
> i understand it is unavoidable. If there is a way to avoid it I would be
> interested in looking at pursuing that option if it will help.

Package: gcc-4.1-source
Section: devel
Installed-Size: 51816
Maintainer: Debian GCC Maintainers <debian-gcc@lists.debian.org>
Architecture: all
Source: gcc-4.1
Version: 4.1.2-14
Depends: gcc-4.1-base (>= 4.1.2-2), make (>= 3.81)
Filename: pool/main/g/gcc-4.1/gcc-4.1-source_4.1.2-14_all.deb
Size: 48305110
MD5sum: 6bce483ed95cd503afea43441e64b094
SHA1: 0cb18d6aea5195c7e53efae66446f6b3522d06c9
SHA256: c4c75e97d52055d71f2c794f779cfeb9367b1b42a5724b178dee684c580574a6
 This package contains the sources and patches which are needed to
 build the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC).

That may be an option.

It may also be an option talkin to the gcc maintainers, if its possible
to include your thing in their package suite. Like - storing it as a
patch and modifying the build system in a way that at the end just one
more bianry package gets spit out.

Im not sure the latter is possible, but maybe, and talking to them
doesnt cost much...

--
bye Joerg
2.5 million B.C.: OOG the Open Source Caveman develops the axe and