Re: Packaging a difficult project

On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 03:35:14PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:

> > Hmm, I would question whether this is something we'd want to include in the
> > Debian archive as-is; I think we already have way too many gcc packages
> > being carried around with our releases and that we need to try to make this
> > number go down, not add more copies of the gcc source code to the archive.

> I believe that edoc doesn't use the code generator, only the front
> end, so it doesn't need care from port maintainers.

Which was not my objection.  I understand and accept that edoc might not be
a very good compiler to use on all architectures, and don't think that
should be a reason to keep it out of the archive; my concern is that,
depending on which binary packages it needs to build, edoc could take up as
much as 1GB of space on our full mirrors, for something that should
effectively be a patch against gcc.