Re: making debian/copyright machine-interpretable

On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 04:19:29PM -0400, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 07:17:59PM +0200, Sam Hocevar wrote:
> >      http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/CopyrightFormat
>
> I really like the idea, thanks for this proposal!
>
> A comment about file patterns. For possible future needs I would go for
> specifying clearly the semantic of file patterns, for example whether if
> the first matching pattern apply to a file (as it seems in your example
> on the wikipage) or whether if the last does (as I would recommend,
> since usually, for the sake of human communication, you first want to
> specify the most "common" license of a source package, then the
> exceptions).
>
> Similarly, it might be useful to have Vim-like '**'-patterns to match
> arbitrarily deep subdirectories, thought not really required.

Also, it might be better to have comma separated file lists, instead of
space separated lists. Filenames are more likely to contain spaces than
commas (Notably, in big projects that have windows ports or that come
from the windows world, filenames containing whitespaces are not
uncommon). Or maybe pipes, they are even more unlikely in a filename.

Mike