Re: Installation of Recommends by default on October 1st

Pierre Habouzit wrote:
>   I mean, recommends means that having the recommends installed may e.g.
> enable some additionnal features in your package.

No, recommends means that:

          This declares a strong, but not absolute, dependency.

You're thinking of suggests:

          This is used to declare that one package may be more useful with
          one or more others.

> See openoffice.org, I think it recommends java or many things like that.
> If I don't want to install java and the hundreds of megabytes it come
> with, how am I supposed to do ?
>
> apt-cache show openoffice.org-writer |grep Recom
> Recommends: openoffice.org-filter-binfilter, gij | java-gcj-compat | j2re1.4 | java2-runtime, openoffice.org-java-common (>> 2.2.0-4)

apt-get install openoffice.org gij- ?

--
see shy jo