Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:

> Le vendredi 27 juillet 2007 à 03:52 -0700, Steve Langasek a écrit :
>> > In the end, the people who know whether an application should be given
>> > tags that will exclude it from certain menus are the application's
>> > maintainers, not the menu systems maintainers. So far they have been
>> > reasonable about what is included in the menu, and I have no reason to
>> > think this wouldn't remain like that.
>>
>> In that case, I guess I'm confused, because I had the impression that you
>> were still opposed to migrating the existing Debian menu to use the
>> freedesktop standard.
>
> Sorry, that wasn't clear: people are currently reasonable with what they
> include in the *freedesktop* menu.

Do you mean the menu as shown by desktop environments like gnome, or the
menu as specified by the set of .desktop files?

> I'm not fond of the idea of
> converting the Debian menu entries because it will lead to including all
> that's currently in the *Debian* menu, which is not reasonable.

I still don't understand what you want:  Is it particular categories
that you want to hide, or is it the sheer number of applications, and
the fact that there are going to be multiple applications for
(approximately) the same task, that bothers you?

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)