Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

Le vendredi 27 juillet 2007 à 02:44 -0700, Steve Langasek a écrit :
> So far, the only proposal I've seen for allowing users to get access to the
> "non-default" menu entries, after they've been hidden in GNOME, is by
> letting them hunt down a config option in a settings menu /which is nowhere
> near the menu itself/.

Right-clicking on the menu isn't near the menu itself? If you have
better suggestions to make it accessible, please don't hesitate.

> That's a bad UI; it might be ok for novices, but
> it's not ok for non-novices *or for novices who aren't looking to be novices
> for all eternity*.  Making "advanced" configuration options available only
> to those who already know where to look ensures that there will always be a
> large gap between the knowledgeable elite, and the uninformed consumers.

Despite not being, I think, a novice user, I almost never crave in the
advanced configuration options. They are advanced because there is no
need for them in the general case, novice user or not.

> > I have no business into changing other environments' menus.
>
> If you're going to be making unilateral decisions about classes of graphical
> applications that shouldn't be shown in the menu because they don't fit with
> your ideal of what a desktop menu should look like, I don't think you have
> any business changing GNOME's menu either.
>
> Identifying, as a project, classes of applications that aren't appropriate
> for inclusion in the menu of a desktop environment at all, and excluding
> those, is perfectly reasonable; but you appear to insist on referring to the
> classes identified so far, such as console apps and language interpreters,
> as *examples* of things you would trim from the GNOME menu, reserving for
> yourself the right to make the final decisions about what else you'll decide
> to cut.  As a user of GNOME in Debian, I'm not at all ok with that.

You make it sound like somehow I would dictate what would be in the menu
by removing any application I don't like or use. This has never been my
intent. I have quoted window managers and console applications as
examples because they are the only identified classes so far; it is hard
to tell what will need to be excluded until the desktop files are
actually created and we can start seeing what the menu looks like.

In the end, the people who know whether an application should be given
tags that will exclude it from certain menus are the application's
maintainers, not the menu systems maintainers. So far they have been
reasonable about what is included in the menu, and I have no reason to
think this wouldn't remain like that.

--
 .''`.