Re: kydpdict relationships

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 07:55:09PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 22:38:37 +0200, Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org> said:
>
> > On 11090 March 1977, Marcin Owsiany wrote:
> >> Now I need to decide what the relationship between these two should
> >> be.
>
> > Depends.
>
>         Hmm.  Let us examine the two common cases:
>  a) User has not bought proprietary dictionaries.
>     i) With recommends installed by default; they can have a working
>        package.  Without that, the binary package is useless.
>    ii) With Depends, the binary ackage works.
>  b) User has proprietary dictionaries.
>     i) With recommends, the user can just install the proprietary
>        package first. The system works
>    ii) With Depends, there is a possible conflict; or else you have a
>        useless package installed, whether you want it or not.

I don't think the other dictionaries conflict each other.

>         If we are going to transition to installing Recommends by
>  default in lenny, I would say go with the Recommends, since it caters
>  to more users.
>
>         Or else, use Depends, but that makes the system less efficient
>  for those of our users who decide they want a partially  proprietary
>  solution (which we promise to support as well, as I recall).

Sounds like a good strategy. I'll make it Recommends, as it will be
better for people using systems like an armel-based nokia (hi, Piotr)
which I suppose doesn't have a particularily large mass storage. If it
turns out that recommends won't be installed by default for lenny, I can
easily turn it into a Depends.

> > But we dont care about those non-free files, as they wont ever end up
> > in a thing where you could add some relation in your package control
> > data.
>
>         Sure, but the proprietary .deb could use Enhances :).

I would be quite astonished if there ever was a deb of any of the
proprietary dictionaries :)

--
Marcin Owsiany <porridge@debian.org>             http://marcin.owsiany.pl/
GnuPG: 1024D/60F41216  FE67 DA2D 0ACA FC5E 3F75  D6F6 3A0D 8AA0 60F4 1216