Re: kydpdict relationships

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 22:38:37 +0200, Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org> said:

> On 11090 March 1977, Marcin Owsiany wrote:
>> Now I need to decide what the relationship between these two should
>> be.

> Depends.

        Hmm.  Let us examine the two common cases:
 a) User has not bought proprietary dictionaries.
    i) With recommends installed by default; they can have a working
       package.  Without that, the binary package is useless.
   ii) With Depends, the binary ackage works.
 b) User has proprietary dictionaries.
    i) With recommends, the user can just install the proprietary
       package first. The system works
   ii) With Depends, there is a possible conflict; or else you have a
       useless package installed, whether you want it or not.

        If we are going to transition to installing Recommends by
 default in lenny, I would say go with the Recommends, since it caters
 to more users.

        Or else, use Depends, but that makes the system less efficient
 for those of our users who decide they want a partially  proprietary
 solution (which we promise to support as well, as I recall).

> But we dont care about those non-free files, as they wont ever end up
> in a thing where you could add some relation in your package control
> data.

        Sure, but the proprietary .deb could use Enhances :). If ever
 the packaging system frontends decide to support that, it could still
 be useful.

        manoj
--
"Look! There! Evil!.. pure and simple, total evil from the Eighth
Dimension!" Buckaroo Banzai