Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

Am 2007-07-15 22:57:10, schrieb Daniel Leidert:
> Am Samstag, den 14.07.2007, 12:44 -0400 schrieb Joey Hess:
> > Until there is one, I don't see any reason why I should accept patches
> > adding menu files to my packages.
>
> The .desktop format is not only about the menu item itself. It also
> contains the application <-> MIME/file type association information. The
> update-desktop-database then parses all .desktop files and creates this
> database (/usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache). AFAIK KDE 3 uses this
> system, his own system and the old system via /usr/lib/mime (metamail,
> right?). But GNOME AFAIK only uses the current shared MIME info
> database.

Which mean, over the half of the .desktop files would be useless for peoples
NOT USING KDE or Gnome.  However, I support ONE fileformat since maintaining
a .menu AND A .desktop file costs some nerv specialy, if you can not use/test
the .desktop files.

So if "menu" use the .desktop files as input, it would be good.

> > Generating both menu and .desktop files from a third format would be
> > pointless. Either format can be generated from the other format.
>
> No. The Debian menu entries do not contain the information about which
> MIME/file types can be handled nor in which menus the entry should

This is right, but WM's which do not use .desktop files do they support
those mime stuff?  --  AFAIK no.

> occur. The Debian menu items also do not contain the information, how to

???  --  What do you mean, with "in which entry they should occur"?

The "Menu System" have the "section=" which is, WHERE the item occur.

> handle the arguments when calling the program from e.g. nautilus to open

Does this work under "fvwm" too?  AFAIK no.

> a special file. And I don't want to start to tell about the "action"
> section possibilities ;) However, the formats only share some basic
> information, but the .desktop format contains much more information,
> than the Debian menu item files. You may be able to create a Debian menu
> file from the .desktop file. But the other way would be very useless.

It depends, whether the apps SHOULD be run from GNOME/KDE or not.
For many (most of my) apps, I do not need any mime stuff and such.

> > menu
> > already generates .desktop files from menu files, and I don't believe it
> > would be too hard to make menu _read_ .desktop files directly and use it
> > as a source for the other files it generates.
>
> This may be possible. Maybe the Debian menu file format should follow
> the freedesktop.org specification too and contain something like:
>
> NoDisplay=true
> X-Debian_only=true
>
> to show, that the item should only appear in the Debian menu. Then put
> these files into e.g. /usr/share/applications/debian and drop the old
> menu format in /usr/share/menu. This is just one possible solutions to
> the situation (not an recommendation).

This could be a solution :-)

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)